Monday, April 26, 2010

Fish on Sticks, 36 x 48, oil on canvas


This is my last week at the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh. The kids have been a lot of fun. I probably learned more from them – especially the young ones. I painted this while I was there. It was inspired by the small study I did a few weeks ago. The building in the middle was added a few years ago and was designed to echo a night light. The architect wanted to create a form that glowed in the dark. I chose to do this painting in late evening light to show the clear separation of warm light and shadow. The fish are in shadow along with the left planes of the buildings while the sky and right planes of the structures are bathed with light. The fish are positioned higher in the sky than they actually are. I liked the whimsical idea of fish swimming through the sky. The kids all knew it right away as the fish parking lot.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really creative piece - shows what artistic license is all about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see this and the other fish painting in person. I like fish pictures. I'd also like to hear about what you learned from the kids! --Catherine

    ReplyDelete