Tuesday, September 21, 2010

September Evening Light, 30 x 50, oil on canvas

Have you ever been on a road trip and the light is so incredible you have to stop, get out and just soak it in? Two weeks ago I had to stop four times. What should have been a 90 minute drive turned into 3 hours! The light continued to get better and better. I would do a small 5 x 7 inch study, drive another 30 miles, look in my rear view mirror and say wow, that's another painting. It was just too good to pass up. The above painting was done from a photo that was taken before I did the studies. I loved the way the warm evening light bathed the trees and corn fields. My photo doesn't look anything like this. I rearranged the masses to show more sky and also balance the light families.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting Ron. I think we must be seeing similar skies here in Carlisle and where you are. Love those skies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron--you just described my daily commute and my life at home in the Finger Lakes. This time of year is exhilarating, every moment of every day. It's impossible to get anything done around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blue sky!

    ReplyDelete