Monday, October 25, 2010

Smoke and Dust, 9 x 12, oil on panel

I did this study for a larger 16 x 20 painting last month. So often the quick sketch turns out better. Maybe I'm trying too hard on the larger pieces? The bigger paintings are usually on linen, they take more time, and are meant to be more "serious". The relaxed feeling combined with concentration is what all the golfers talk about to hit a ball. Could golf and painting actually have something in common? Both require an enormous amount of practice and a lot of skill. So I guess it is possible. I have found that the smaller I work the better my results. Also, I have fewer expectations and the materials are not that big of an investment. Generally I'm enjoying the process a bit more and if it doesn't work, scrapping off a small loser is no big deal.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, I'm a fan of all your work. But, there is something particularly compelling about the small pieces. Relaxation and concentration, skill and practice are, no doubt, key to many complex activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your industrials are becoming my new favorites. I want this one! :)

    ReplyDelete