Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blue Morning, 30 x 40, oil on linen

Sometimes one painting leads to another. This is what happened with the most recent painting, Last Light. After I did it, the idea of deeply shadowed alleyways prompted me to look at photos I took last winter. This new one depicts early morning light on Polish Hill. The tricky aspect of this painting was to keep the hillside in the distance, even though it is warm. Conversely, the foreground is in deep, bluish shadow and normally these cool colors tend to recede. I think of these scenes as urban canyons where light darts through openings, creating tension because of the imposing masses.

1 comment:

  1. These are all so beautiful, Ron. The city views make me miss Pittsburgh so much I could cry; they capture the light and the look of the places so poetically. Totally get what you're saying about the challenges of the light in Blue Morning; really a marvel.

    Wish we could make the Studio Tour, but still tied to the winery on Saturdays until December. Hope to see you, and your latest work, over the winter?

    ReplyDelete